Vegetables are great but it’s not something I’d usually order when eating out. And so with the new year, I decided that I need to balance my eating out diet by cooking healthier meals at home. My cooking style is simple, the easier the better. If I can cook everything in one pot, I’ll go for it. Nothing fancy, just a bit of seasoning is all I need.
When I came across Joyloop’s hot pepper mix, I was intrigued. Although it’s called a pepper mix, it’s really a veggie mix of serrano pepper, bell pepper, carrot, cauliflower, and celery with salt, garlic, sugar, oregano, black pepper in canola and olive oil. The suggested use is as a topping on salads, sandwiches, or pizzas. Looking at the ingredients I thought: I want to try cooking with this.
- 1/4 pound brussel sprouts
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 1 pack of Joyloop hot pepper mix
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 egg (optional)
- Black pepper as needed
- Wash and cut brussel sprouts in half. Wash and chop kale.
- Add olive oil to pan. Add brussel sprouts when oil is hot. Once the brussel sprouts turn golden brown on the outside, place a lid on the pan for 4-5 minutes. Remove brussel sprouts from pan when they’re cooked to desired texture.
- Add kale to the same pan. While the kale is cooking, open a pack of hot pepper mix into a bowl. Add a few spoonful of the pepper mix to the kale. Reserve some mix in the bowl. Add some black pepper. Sauteed kale and pepper mix together. Remove kale once cooked to desired texture and add to the cooked brussel sprouts.
- Optional: Add more olive oil to pan and fry up an egg.
- Place cooked veggie mix into a large bowl or plate. Add fried egg on top. Drizzle remaining pepper mix onto the dish.
I wanted to see how seasoned the pepper mix was, that’s why I didn’t add any seasoning except for some black pepper. It gave good flavors but with the amount of veggies I had, it could’ve used a bit more seasoning. I really liked the heat of the pepper mix. There are two options (hot or medium), and I chose the hot one to cook with. It was just spicy enough where it was almost addicting. I don’t think I’ve ever ate veggies so fast before!
Joyloop Foods http://www.joyloopfoods.com
Delivery via Good Eggs http://producer.goodeggs.com/joyloop/